27 September 2009

Introduction

"Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?"

At first glance, that's a good way to sum up my position on topics like politics, the stock market, the economy, religion, and how things are going at work. "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" says my favorite T-shirt, a wonderful Christmas gift from my insightful children. Thanks to talk radio, I sometimes get wound up about some apocalyptic aspect of life or death on this planet. My wonderful and wise wife, BJ, flees the room if I start talking politics or theology with anyone. So it seems I come across as a tad bit gloomy.

And yet . . .

Life is good! It's not just that God is in heaven, and all will eventually be worked out according to His plan. Life is good right here, right now, too. Even much of the bad stuff can be fixed if we put our minds and backs to it, and trust in God, and ask for his help when our efforts fall short.

Mission Statement: The intended point of this blog is to discuss those controversial (and sometimes gloomy) topics I find so interesting, and to shine a light on the good things along the way, and propose solutions for things that need fixing.

How This Blog Came to Be. I love reading my children’s blogs, especially my daughter’s, Ki, who blogs more frequently than the others. Her nearly daily blogs are fun because I learn about her and her family. (Hey, I know I’m a proud grandpa!) But I found I was yearning to read more from her occasional “more serious” blogs especially about religion. So she is my main inspiration for wanting to write a blog of any kind, but especially on “more serious” topics. Thank you, Ki, for leading by example. And thank you, BJ, my wife, who has shown me with her daily photo blog, there are many paths to a blog.

Dennis Prager, radio talk show host, likes to give talks at high schools telling the students they are morally obligated to be happy. (Click the previous link, and select Happiness is a Moral Obligation for details.) For a guy like me who (happily) savors “We’re all gonna die!” topics this is a profound concept. It resonates. I believe it resonates because I often wear a gloomy looking mask, but at the core there is an optimist trying hard to break out. Thank you, Dennis Prager, for leading by example.

No comments:

Post a Comment